(Exercises to be done 3 times per day)
1 (0-2 weeks):
- Control Swelling
- REST by minimising the activity that makes the swelling worse, such as excessive walking
- ICE – 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times per day
- COMPRESSION – Wear tubigrip during the day can help to reduce swelling
- ELEVATE – rest as frequently as you can with your leg up on a bed/couch with the knee above the level of your heart to aid in reducing the swelling at the knee
- Achieve correct gait, FWB.
- Achieve full passive extension (straighten out flat)
- Achieve full flexion (bending of the knee) – may be limited by swelling
With hands behind knee, pull knee towards chest until a comfortable stretch is felt in hamstring. Hold 30 seconds. Repeat 2times per set.
Keeping knee straight, with toes onto wall or step lean forward to bring knee towards wall. Hold 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times per set.
Cross leg behind, reach up and across to form a “C” shape. Feel the stretch down the side of the leg and trunk. Hold 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times per set
Knee Flexion in Sitting
- Gently bend your knee towards you (you can use a towel to assist this)
- Hold at the comfortable limit of flexion for 5 seconds.
- Straighten your knee slowly
- Continue slowly 10 times.
- Sit with a rolled up towel under your knee and the thigh rolled outwards slightly.
- Place fingers on inner thigh just above kneecap to feel quadriceps/Vastis medialis muscle contracting.
- Lift heel off bed and tighten quadriceps.
- Hold contraction for 5 secs, rest for a few seconds.
- Repeat 3 x 10 times.
With knee straight and relaxed, gently move kneecap from side to side
- Sit your leg straight.
- Press the back of your knee downwards by tightening the muscle on the front of your thigh.
- Hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat 3 x 10 time, 6x a day
Once you have mastered long sitting progress to:
- Sitting in a chair (pic on left)
- Standing (pic on right)
As soon as your able start stationary cycling. Start with no resistance gently for 5 minutes
When COMFORTABLE start standing on one leg Try to maintain your balance for as long as possible up to 30secs
Stand with weight equally through both legs Without leaning forward rise up onto your toes 2x10reps
Double Leg Bridging
Once you have regained full movement in your knee and it is no longer swollen (>1 week) begin this exercise Keeping the weight through your heels raise your bottom off the floor. Hold 30s , 3 reps 2 sets